Hot summer days and muggy Summer nights means we have been enjoying a lot of cool beverages these days. Lemonade, smoothies, and the occasional Bloody Mary are a huge part of our life right now. I have always preferred drinking from a straw versus just sipping straight from the glass since I tend to wear lip balm quite often, so there has always been a plastic straw supply tucked away in a drawer in our kitchen. However, in my quest to move our lives in a greener direction, I have been slowly aquiring some reusable drinking straws to replace those plastic throw away straws. While we do have some reusable plastic straws,I really prefer ones like the Epica Stainless Steel Drinking Straws for a variety of reasons.
Why make the switch to stainless steel straws?
- They are Earth friendly. Stainless steel is rust resistant and extremely durable. They will last for many years, thereby reducing the waste created by disposable straws.
- They are tough. stainless steel straws won’t dent or bend like plastic. The y won’t chip of shatter like glass straws. They are dishwasher safe. The Epica straws even come with a little brush for hand washing.
- They are budget friendly. Stainless steel straws are usually low priced for a four pack. A four pack of the classic bend style are usually around $10 or even less. When you compare that to buying new disposable straws every few weeks, they will pay for themselves within about two months.
- They are better for you. Stainless steel is non-toxic and BPA free. They won’t leach out toxins after repeated use like certain types of plastic tends to do.
- They keep each sip of your drink cooler. stainless steel is a metal and therefore a thermal conductor. Your straw will keep each sip chilled for optimum refreshment with each drop.
Basically, switching to reusable stainless steel drinking straws was a no brainer for our family. My kids cannot destroy them by chewing them to pieces like they do the plastic straws in their sippy cups. I can toss a couple in my diaper bag without worrying about them breaking. They make your beverage taste better without any plastic-y aftertaste. Plus, they just make our drinks look cool. Going green with some stainless steel straws has to be one of the easiest ways to move your family in a more Eco-conscious direction, without breaking the bank.
Have you switched to reusable straws? What do like about them?
*I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.