This is my first Weighty Wednesday update! You can read last week’s Weight of the Matter post to learn more about why I am on this quest.
This update will not be very long or in depth since I am sick on the couch with my first real illness in years. I made some homemade chicken soup last night in an effort to get as much fluid in me as possible to get through this quickly, so I am not weighing in today. I bloat up so easily and I don’t need the blow to my self esteem right now.
Week one has gone OK. I was really great about what I ate and even avoided an inflammation flare up for a few days in a row. The list of foods that cause a reaction is rather long and complex. When I do have one, I can swell up and gain up to 17 pounds in 12 hours. I then have to live off of nothing but tea and plain veggies for a couple days to get rid of it. Obviously this is something I want to avoid as much as possible, so I am once again going to embark on an elimination diet to pinpoint what is being so problematic. Along with the extreme swelling, I get a nasty eczema flare, so I know I am having an inflammatory response.
On the upside, I ordered a gym mat for my hard floors and it arrived Monday. Tuesday I cleared a spot to leave it out at all times and did some much needed abdominal work.
My main goal with the mat is to strengthen my core to help my back so aside from pushups, planks, and crunches, I finally can get back to the yoga and pilates I used to do. I will admit those free weights are mostly for show because whenever I get down on the floor, the kids think it is play time. Instead of doing reps with weights, I do them with babies. Hopefully, I will get over being sick and have something better to report next week.
- Ordered a gym mat for floor exercising.
- Avoided grains, PUFAs, and starch six out of seven days.
- Went on a long walk with the double stroller every day that weather permitted.
- Remembered to take my Metformin every day.
- Ate Chinese take out and had wine last Friday.
- Water retention.
- I have several food sensitivities causing horrible inflammation, but I am never 100% sure when I will have a flare up.
- It rained a few days keeping us inside.
- I am sick and want to just lay on the couch and slurp soup all day.
Goals for next week:
- Initiate elimination diet focusing on a primal/paleo base.
- Continue my new exercise routine.
- Not be sick!
- Drink more tea and less coffee.